Houghton Development company mines
Houghton tunnel (upper)
Houghton tunnel (Lower)
Houghton shaft / Palmer shaft
Houghton Development Company started August 11, 1903 and began to work the former Solomon Springs Copper Companies’ claims. This property had a shaft known as the Palmer Shaft that was over 135 feet deep and a short adit. The Houghton Company under the guidance of a Michigan engineer, George Lawton began to develop two adits, which were referred to as the upper and lower tunnels. Lack of water was a serious concern and it had to be brought to the mines by four-horse teams from Naco, Arizona at a cost of 25 cents a barrel. Some diamond drilling was done on the claims partially to find water, but had little results in finding ore. Interestingly,electric drills powered by a gasoline generator were used in drive the tunnels. The lower adit was largely accessible in the 1990s, but had for an extended period of time been the home for a herd of javelina.