Flood of 1895, Graeme Larkin collection
Funeral procession on main street, 1884. Graeme Larkin collection
Upper main street, Bisbee 1890, Graeme Larkin collection
Tohono O’odham women near the “Divide” with pottery ollas for sale. These pots were commonly purchased by Bisbee residents for water storage and are often seen in early photos hanging on the porches of homes.
A waterfall on Juniper Flats.
Drawing of town layout in 1879.
Main street at the intersection of Subway street after the 1908 fire.
Postcard view of Main street showing the Copper Queen Store, Bank of Bisbee and library building. C – 1920's. Graeme Larkin collection.
The Bessemer pit of the Copper Queen smelter. Image shows the converters and a line of small slag pots. circa 1899
Torrential flood waters moving through the town. Circa 1890's
A Saloon league advertisement attempting to sway Bisbee from in acting prohibition. This fight was lost in 1915 with state wide prohibition becoming law.
Fire station No.1 Circa 1908
Looking south from School Hill toward Queen Hill in 1905. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of Brewery Gulch C – 1940. Graeme Larkin collection.
Brewery Gulch in a hand-colored postcard from 1903. Graeme Larkin collection
Bisbee in early 1889 looking south. The large white building is the first library built by the Copper Queen Mining Company. At this time, only the Czar mine (left) was in operation as the Copper Queen Mine (center right) had been close the year before. Graeme Larkin collection
Bisbee High School Football Team Circa 1917
A mule train used to carry the smelted copper bullion from Bisbee to the railhead at Fairbank, some 40 miles distant, C.S. Fly Photo C – 1883. Graeme Larkin collection.
A Faro game in the Orient Saloon C -1900, a Fly photo. Gambling was a common past time for Bisbee’s mostly single miners. Graeme Larkin collection
Looking west up the valley that would eventually be Warren, 1902. Sacramento Hill is in the center with the Gardner and Irish Mag mines to the left. Smoke from the smelter fills the canyon where Bisbee is located. U.S.G.S. photo by F. L. Ransome
View of the Czar mine and Copper Queen smelter C-1890's Graeme Larkin collection
Postcard view of the Lowell Mine of the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company and a part of the settlement of Upper Lowell, C – 1915. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of the General offices of the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company C – 1900. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of Main Street Lowell in1940. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of the International Border at Naco, Arizona looking north, with the Mule Mountains in the background, C – 1915. Graeme Larkin collection.
Anything and everything had to be carried to the homes, high on the hills of Bisbee. Firewood was delivered by burro as shown in this hand-colored postcard view C -1904. Graeme Larkin collection.
A postcard view of Bisbee from the Higgins Mine, C – 1940. Graeme Larkin collection.
Warren, 1918. It was the best developed of the several early suburbs of Bisbee. In this 1918, USGS photo by F. L. Ransome, Warren is in the center ground and Bisbee is in the distant center, behind Sacramento Hill.
Postcard view of Warren C -1938. Graeme Larkin collection
Hand-colored postcard view of Castle Rock C – 1904. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of Main Street, C – 1940. Graeme Larkin collection
Postcard view of Bisbee in 1938, looking more or less west. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of the Copper Queen Hospital in Lowell C – 1915, after it was moved from the site near the Holbrook Mine due to ground movement from mining. Graeme Larkin collection.
Sacramento Hill surrounded by the Holbrook Mine (lower r), the Spray Mine (center r), Irish Mag Mine, (upper r), Lowell Mine (center background) 1902. USGS photo by F. L. Ransome.
A radical social movement, the IWW, evolved during the early teens and coopted the labor movement in several industries nation-wide. One of their goals was to stymie the US war effort by calling strikes. At Bisbee, the strikers and sympathizers were forcible rounded up, marched to Warren where many were loaded into boxcars and deported. This postcard view shows the strikers, under guard, marching past the Junction Mine. Graeme Larkin collection.
The entrance to Brewery Gulch C – 1906. Graeme Larkin collection.
Hand-colored postcard view of Brewery Gulch with off duty miners enjoying the afternoon sun, C – 1904. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of Sacramento Hill some 13 years before any open pit mining began, 1904. Graeme Larkin collection.
Postcard view of Bisbee looking east from School Hill, 1940. Graeme Larkin collection.
In 1897, the Masonic Grand Lodge of Arizona held its annual meeting in a cave on the 200 level of the Czar Mine. Graeme Larkin collection
Bisbee’s Main Street was dirt for many years as seen in this hand-colored postcard view from 1904. Graeme Larkin collection.
Bisbee 1902, with shadows on the hills from the smelter smoke. The smelter and Czar Mine are in the center, while the Holbrook Mine can be seen left of center. USGS photo by F. L. Ransome.